While you wait for the big boogiedown, why not check out this new mix Jordi recorded for us? As always, it’s a fun, adventurous, genre-bending journey full of fantastic records.
- Samuel Jonathan Johnson – Sweet Love
- Etap – Did You Mean Maybe (JSD Edit)
- Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway – Back Together Again
- Krisp – Sunlight
- Maxx Traxx – Don’t Touch It
- Mike T – Do It Anyway You Wanna (Greg Wilson Edit)
- Bougie Soliterre – Got The Bug (Sfere Horn Mix)
- Scott Grooves Feat. Roy Ayers – Expansions (The Simplamental Mix)
- Disco Elements – Feed The Flame
- Aquarian Dream – It Ain’t Watcha Say (JSD Edit)
- Lood Feat. Donell Rush – Shout-N-Out
- Pure Energy – Party On
- Nature Boy – Philly Bound
- Paul Simpson – Movin’ Around
- Norm Talley – Get It Right
- Grey & Hanks – Dancin’
- War – Flying Machine
- The Miracles – Ain’t Nobody Straight in L.A.
Daniel Paul Cortez is one of my favorite DJs. I haven’t seen him play live since I moved to Seville eight odd years ago, but in my time in Minneapolis I saw him frequently and at such a consistently high level that his standing is hardly at risk.
If you visit the site periodically, you may remember that he did a gorgeous deep house mix for oddiofile several years back, and when I decided to open up birthday jazz for guest mixes, he was one of the very first people I contacted. As his interests are as broad as my own, I was curious what he would do with the invitation. Two years later I received his answer: this beauty of latin jazz mix, packed full of wonderful music and paternal emotion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Here’s the tracklist.
Daniel Paul Cortez – Birthday Jazz
- The Jazz Messengers – Ecaroh
- Stanley Turrentine – La Fiesta
- Willie Bobo – Felicidad
- Mongo Santamaria – Happy Now
- Wes Montgomery – Repetition
- Jerome Richardson – No Problem
- Ahmad Jamal – Poinciana
- Stan Getz – Con Alma
- Bud Shank – Illusao
- Moacir Santos – Kathy
- Chick Corea – Children’s Song
- The Terry Gibbs Quartet – Hey Jim
- Chico Hamilton – Sleepy Slept Here
- Cannonball Adderley – Love For Sale
- Antonio Carlos Jobim – Remember
- Horace Silver – Kathy
- Cal Tjader – Morning
When I was first asked to contribute this mix, my son, Archer, was just turning one. This year we celebrate his third birthday! Over the past two years, the selection of records for this Birthday Jazz mix grew and took shape, as did the love, joy, and experiences within our household. From the moments of exuberance, and chaos, to the tranquility and elation, this mix represents what I would never change for anything in the world. Archer, may your happiness continue to flourish. I love you with all of my heart and soul, mijo.
One of my favorite DJs, Daniel Paul Cortez, recently made his first trip over to Europe to DJ and–lucky for us–he recorded his set at Panorama Bar.
Daniel is one of the Twin Cities’ biggest underground DJs–a huge talent that is as popular with the techno heads as he is with the disco purists–and while I was there I had the pleasure of seeing him play in all kinds of venues at all hours of the night. What made his sets so memorable, and such an inspiration to me, was how fresh and unexpected the combination of records always was. A lot of DJs play some of the same records, but few can do it like Daniel–so often blazing the ballsiest trails though perilous, uncharted territory and making it all sound so good.
But don’t take my word for it. Check this out: