Our man in Cordoba and October LOVE CALL guest Juani Cash recently set this wonderful guestlmix. It’s called “Rhodes”–so you know it’s deep and jazzy, with the wonderfully classy selections that make him one of our favorite DJs from down south.
Give it a listen and don’t forget to click on that heart button to show some love!!
Love Call Guestmix: Rhodes (Compiled and Mixed by Juani Cash)
01 – Dj Mitsu – Rendezvous (Monk’s Revolution Remix) (Jazzy Sport)
02 – Dreamcast – Up 2 U (Future Times)
03 – Moodymann – Got Me Coming Back Rite Now (KDJ)
04 – Gerardo Frisina – Katanga (Schema)
05 – Skymark – Warm Day (Modern Sun Records)
06 – Chanan Hanspal – Footprints In The Sand (Shannon Harris Urbanicity Reinterpretation) (BBE)
07 – Joe Armon Jones & Maxwell Owin Ft Oscar Jerome – Idiom (Yam Recordings)
08 – Elements of Life – Thompkins Square Park (Vega Records)
09 – Kahuun – Batteri (Hi Fi Therapy)
10 – Alex Attias & Luman Child - Cookie Monster (Visions Inc)
11 – Mateo & Matos – Rain (Glasgow Underground)
12 – Mr. V – Jus Dance (Vega)
13 – Chris Brann – Way Past The Clouds (Guidance)
14 – Benedek & Noble – Ocean Side (Superior Elevation)
15 – 2000 Black – Mononymous Persons (2000 Black)
16 – Edmony Krater – An Ba Jouk (Olivier Portal Playin’ 4 The Beach Remix) (Heavenly Sweetness)
While you wait for the big boogiedown, why not check out this new mix Jordi recorded for us? As always, it’s a fun, adventurous, genre-bending journey full of fantastic records.
- Samuel Jonathan Johnson – Sweet Love
- Etap – Did You Mean Maybe (JSD Edit)
- Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway – Back Together Again
- Krisp – Sunlight
- Maxx Traxx – Don’t Touch It
- Mike T – Do It Anyway You Wanna (Greg Wilson Edit)
- Bougie Soliterre – Got The Bug (Sfere Horn Mix)
- Scott Grooves Feat. Roy Ayers – Expansions (The Simplamental Mix)
- Disco Elements – Feed The Flame
- Aquarian Dream – It Ain’t Watcha Say (JSD Edit)
- Lood Feat. Donell Rush – Shout-N-Out
- Pure Energy – Party On
- Nature Boy – Philly Bound
- Paul Simpson – Movin’ Around
- Norm Talley – Get It Right
- Grey & Hanks – Dancin’
- War – Flying Machine
- The Miracles – Ain’t Nobody Straight in L.A.
Daniel Paul Cortez is one of my favorite DJs. I haven’t seen him play live since I moved to Seville eight odd years ago, but in my time in Minneapolis I saw him frequently and at such a consistently high level that his standing is hardly at risk.
If you visit the site periodically, you may remember that he did a gorgeous deep house mix for oddiofile several years back, and when I decided to open up birthday jazz for guest mixes, he was one of the very first people I contacted. As his interests are as broad as my own, I was curious what he would do with the invitation. Two years later I received his answer: this beauty of latin jazz mix, packed full of wonderful music and paternal emotion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Here’s the tracklist.
Daniel Paul Cortez – Birthday Jazz
- The Jazz Messengers – Ecaroh
- Stanley Turrentine – La Fiesta
- Willie Bobo – Felicidad
- Mongo Santamaria – Happy Now
- Wes Montgomery – Repetition
- Jerome Richardson – No Problem
- Ahmad Jamal – Poinciana
- Stan Getz – Con Alma
- Bud Shank – Illusao
- Moacir Santos – Kathy
- Chick Corea – Children’s Song
- The Terry Gibbs Quartet – Hey Jim
- Chico Hamilton – Sleepy Slept Here
- Cannonball Adderley – Love For Sale
- Antonio Carlos Jobim – Remember
- Horace Silver – Kathy
- Cal Tjader – Morning
When I was first asked to contribute this mix, my son, Archer, was just turning one. This year we celebrate his third birthday! Over the past two years, the selection of records for this Birthday Jazz mix grew and took shape, as did the love, joy, and experiences within our household. From the moments of exuberance, and chaos, to the tranquility and elation, this mix represents what I would never change for anything in the world. Archer, may your happiness continue to flourish. I love you with all of my heart and soul, mijo.